Thursday, June 17, 2010

One lonely night

That one late night I thought was the loneliest time of my life. Tears kept falling on my cheeks as I walked through a dark damp street on my way home from work. There was no handkerchief or tissue to dry my face. I only had my bare hands that seemed like a busy windshield wiper in the pouring rain. I cannot even remember why I was crying. It was probably about work. Or my messy love life or lack of a decent one. Or perhaps I fought with my mother or brother. But what I can remember vividly was how I felt God’s warmth that night. Amidst the loneliness and despair God made me feel I was not alone. A tricycle suddenly slowed down near me.

“Ma’am, Rosario po.”
“Hindi na po Manong. Maglalakad lang po ako.”
“Sige na po Ma’am, doon din naman ang daan ko”
“Ok lang po ako Manong.”
“Ma’am sige na po, gabi na”

I really wanted to continue walking and whining. I wanted to let all tears I could make to pour that night so that there would be nothing more left to cry in the following days. But after the insistent offer, I suddenly stopped crying and hopped in the tricycle.

The driver did not let me pay. I was surprised that someone like him could be generous with warmth and kindness. He was God’s instrument that night. He wanted to let me know that in my loneliest time, He is there for me and that I was not alone after all.

No comments: